top of page

Dr Johnson's House Trust

Dr. J's House cutting Cork Examiner 12.
To wipe all tears from off all faces is a task too hard for mortals; but to alleviate misfortunes is often within the most limited power

Johnson: Rambler No. 107 

By the start of the twentieth century, Dr Johnson’s House was empty and derelict.  In 1911, the house was bought by philanthropist Cecil Harmsworth, a Liberal MP.  He restored it and opened it to the public, building a cottage next door for the resident Curator.  In 1929, a Trust was formed to run the House, and in 2007 the charity was incorporated.  Dr Johnson’s House is today run by Dr Johnson’s House Trust Ltd, registered charity no 1122396.  


Our charitable objectives are:

  • to preserve Dr Johnson’s House, 17 Gough Square, London for the use of the general public

  • to advance and encourage learning and scholarship


Cecil Harmsworth was adamant that Dr Johnson’s House should always feel like a home and not a ‘stuffy museum’; therefore he insisted that tea parties and dinner parties should always be welcome. In addition, he felt it should always be a Johnson house not a Georgian house and therefore refused offers of period furnishings with no relation to him or his circle. Dr Johnson’s House continues to adhere to Harmsworth’s wishes today.

If you would like to support our charity please go to Support Us.

bottom of page